Arthritis and connective tissues
It is condition of joint pain with inflammation and connective tissues.
Arthritis cause inflammation around joints in the body, which leads to extreme pain with swelling, resistant in range of motion, crickling sound, and limited or restricted movement of muscles & joints. There are more than 102 types of arthritis.
Joint pain due to arthritis can further lead to pain in more than one joint.
Causes, accidents, perception and risk factors for arthritis
Cartilage is gel type muscle which protects the joints all around the body for smooth movement in all degrees. Cartilage acts as shock absorber whenever pressure is made on the joints, when you walk, run or lift any weight. If there is not sufficient cartilage the bones rubs together which results in their deterioration, pain around joints, swelling, resistance in movement, stiffness and inflammation.
Patients have inflammation around their joints because of one of following reasons, which includes
1. Any injury in Bones or broken bone
2. Normal deterioration of joints
3. Any infection or side affects due to bacteria or any other factor
4. Due to immune disease (There are many kinds of immune disease in which body’s own immune system attacks the joints of body)
It is seen that inflammation around the joints have generally diminishes because of treatment. Patient feels reduction in pain when they recover from injuries and any sort of infections.
However there are certain diseases and conditions when inflammation does not ends and outcome is joint & muscles pain and disfigurement or malformation around joints. The patients feel chronic pain around their joints and this means they are suffering from arthritis. The most commonly type of arthritis is Osteoarthritis, this also occurs with age and is most commonly known as knee join pain and back pain. Osteoarthritis is found in knees, lower back, hips and fingers.
Factors which increase risk of arthritis are
1. Any recent or previous injury
2. Increase in weight or overweight
3. Stress on affected joints like walking with knee pain or lifting weight with back pain. Playing, dancing and labors are at high risk of being affected by osteoarthritis.
Arthritis affects people with all age and sex, whether you are elder of 60 yrs or youngster of 30 years still you can be affected by arthritis. United States of America is mostly affected by one or other form of arthritis, almost 1 out of 6 persons are suffering from arthritis. Current stats of arthritis states that there are more than 38 million people suffering from arthritis which includes men, women and children.
Types & kinds of arthritis and their symptoms & reasons for development or cause of arthritis includes:
1. Back Arthritis or Ankylosing spondylitis– It is also one common form of arthritis specially found in women and osteoporosis patients. it affects and cause inflammation around spine (spine and pelvis). The patient have increased pain at night & morning due to lack of activity. Eye inflammation, Loss of appetite and mild fever are symptoms of Ankylosing spondylitis. CBC is most effective test to determine Ankylosing spondylitis in patient.
2. Gout Arthritis– It develops when uric acid increase around the joints. it mostly found in Diabetes patient and overweight people. Big toe, joint appears warm and red, pain occurs mostly in night. Uric acid – blood test is most effective test to determine Gout Arthritis in patient. Synovial fluid increases in the patient due to lack of movement.
3. Gonococcal arthritis– It is bacterial perversion around the joints which results in inflammation. Skin rashness, large joints, Lower abdominal pain, problem in urination and blood infection are symptoms for Gonococcal arthritis. Urine Culture and Culture of joint aspirate are most effective test to determine Gonococcal Arthritis in patient.
4. Blastomycetic dermatitis or Gilchrist’s disease– This infection occurs when blastomyocosis fungus particles are inhaled in the body which results in breathing problem, chest pain, Fatigue, Sweating, Joint pain and reduction in weight. CT scan of Chest is most effective test to determine Blastomycetic dermatitis Arthritis in patients.
Adult Still's disease
5. Adult Still’s disease– This is one rare form of arthritis which results in high fever, skin rashness (salmon-pink color), Abdominal pain, Sore throat and joint pain which results in deep pain in form of arthritis. CRP test is most effective test to determine Adult Still’s disease in patient
6. Psoriatic arthritis- It is related to skin disease that causes red marks on the body that is known as psoriasis of the skin. Genetical and hereditary factors are major cause and it results in mild joint pain, burning and joint stiffness. Doctors and physicians usually prescribe antirheumatic drugs like Methotrexate for Psoriatic arthritis.
7. Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis– It is arthritis of children and it is autoimmune disease which attacks tissue of body. Rheumatic fever,
Joint pain, limping and Inflammatory bowel disease are common symptoms of it. Rheumatoid factor test and ECG is most effective test to determine Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis in patients.
8. Rheumatoid arthritis– It is one of most common form of arthritis. The body’s own immune system attacks body organs and parts instead of fighting foreign substances. Usually women have high chances of Rheumatoid arthritis than men and it affects both sides equally like both hands, wrist, ankle and other joints. Infections, hormones and genetics syndrome plays important role in contributing to it. Complete blood count and Rheumatoid factor test are most effective test to determine Rheumatoid Arthritis in patients.
10. Septic arthritis or Nongonococcal Bacterial Arthritis– It is caused due to bacterial infection, it grows at rapid pace as it spread through blood to joint. Knee and hip are some of body organs that are mostly affected by it, it is caused because of Artificial joint implants, Joint redness, immuno-suppressing medicines, Low-grade fever, arthroscopy and Bacterial infection. Blood culture is most effective test to determine Septic arthritis in patients.
11. Viral arthritis– It is caused due to viral infection in the body and symptoms are joint pain and swelling. Serology is most effective test to determine Viral arthritis in patients. Usually medication are given by doctors for treatment of Viral arthritis.
12. Scleroderma Arthritis– It is connective tissue problem that results changes under skin, muscles and other internal organs of body. The substance known as collagen is developed under skin and affects people with age of 32 to 55 years old. It develops very slow under skin as scleroderma and spreads slowly and steadily to cause severe problems and complications. Hair loss, Small white lumps, Joint pain, Wrist pain and Skin hardness are common symptoms for Scleroderma Arthritis. Antinuclear antibody is most effective test to determine Scleroderma Arthritis in patients.
13. Tuberculous arthritis– It is one of the rare arthritis caused because of TB and affects joints. The symptoms for Tuberculous arthritis are reduction in weight, swelling around joints, numbness, sweating and fever. Aspiration is most effective test to determine Tuberculous arthritis in patients.
14. Tertiary Lyme disease– It is disease that is caused due to infection by bite of tick or Lyme. Fatigue, Memory loss, sensitivity to light, Numbness, Headaches and inflammation are common symptoms of Tertiary Lyme disease. ELISA for Lyme disease is most effective test to determine Tuberculous arthritis in patients.
Disability after arthritis
15.Systemic lupus erythematosus or SEL– It is autoimmune disorder caused due to certain drugs. Chest pain, rash skin ,Sensitivity to sunlight, Headaches, Psychosis, Mouth sores, Seizures, problem in lung and kidney are common symptoms of Systemic lupus erythematosus or SEL.
16. Disability– It can be in any form and bones change their alignment or shape and more than 30 millions are affected by it.
1. Pain In joints
2. Recent Reduction in range of motion of joints
3. Swelling around joints
4. Stiffness & ache in joints and muscles
5. Warm joints
6. Low Grade fever
7. Change in bones alignment
8. Unusual Reduction in weight
You can also check other arthritis symptoms by answering questionnaire on
Tests to determine arthritis symptoms are
Doctors would follow detailed examination of patient,
1. Examining past medical record of arthritis patient to check any symptoms for arthritis.
2. Physical examination of patient to determine tenderness in the joints. Acute pain in joints and limited range of motion are one of major symptoms to determine arthritis. The joints are usually very tender, warm and reddishness can be seen and felt.
3. In case of autoimmune form of arthritis, the joints might change their shape if right and effective treatment for autoimmune arthritis is not given.
4. Tests are considered only after checking and analysis of patient’s condition and answer to questionnaire (You can also check that on following link http://cure2arthritis.com/check-arthritis-symptoms/). They vary from patients to patients and also from doctor to doctor, it is advisable for arthritis patient to check questionnaire and to screen their arthritis first to have better understanding of their arthritis. Some of common tests are x-rays and blood tests. (You can also check that on following link to determine test for arthritis http://cure2arthritis.com/tag/arthritis-treatment-review-2011/)
Treatment for Arthritis
Treatment for arthritis determine on the symptoms patients displays for arthritis. The affected joints, age, hereditary factors, severity of pain, range of motion, daily activities and other arthritis factors. The job and occupation also are major aspects that has to be taken under consideration before making arthritis treatment schedule.
The treatment of arthritis should be based on symptoms and cause for arthritis, the focus of whole treatment should be based on treatment of arthritis not on pain reduction. The pain reduction is also important but the focus of arthritis treatment should be based on cause of arthritis not the symptom of it. There are forms of arthritis like Osteo Arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis which can not be cured in general cases, so the focus should on pain reduction and comfort with prevention of further damage.
Lifestyle is major factor which leads to Osteo Arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, it is not possible to improve condition without medication and suitable diet & arthritis exercise. Diet & exercise are more effective way to treat osteo arthritis as diet certainly helps in reducing inflammation around joints, specially avoiding nightshade vegetables. Cure2arthritis.com would recommend to use medications as source of additional aid for exercise & diet rather exercise & diet as additional aid to medications.
Exercise for arthritis
Exercise for arthritis are best source to improve bone strength and maintain muscle strength. Exercise aids arthritis patients in regaining range of motion, relieve pain, resolve problem of stiffness and Fatigue. The exercises should be selected by arthritis patients with their comfort level and age. Physio therapist only aids them in designing exercises according arthritis patient needs, the arthritis exercise program should focus on following points
1. Improving strength of muscles and joints
2. Improvement in range of motion of muscles and joints
3. Simple and light aerobic exercises for continuous motions
For arthritis knee joint exercise images check following link
For arthritis neck exercise or cervical spondylosis exercise images check following link
For arthritis lower back pain exercise or sciatica pain exercise images check following link
Physio therapist could also apply heat pads and ice pads to affected joints for arthritis treatment whenever they are needed. Physio therapist could also aid exercise program with support devices for checking alignment of bones after arthritis, they might also consider therapies like water therapy, massage, kai-chee and other therapies.
Mental stress is also another reason behind arthritis, so doctors also suggest comfortable sleep of 8 to 9 hours in night. They also suggest you to take short naps in daytime to recover from stress and actions that makes problem of arthritis. Other supplementary sleeping suggestion for arthritis patients would be
Sleep on high density mats
Salmon Fish for arthritis
Avoid continuous sleeping in single position
Please while sleeping keep pillow under your knees
Refrain positions which lay stress on affected joints.
Try to position your bed near toilet to avoid stress in night.
Ideal Diet for arthritis patient must include
Vitamin E, Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C, Silicon, Zinc and calcium rich diet. Some general tips for
arthritis diet are to avoid following foods high salt, coffee, tea, preservatives, acidic fruits, polished rice, nightshade vegetables, excess alcohol and smoking.
Arthritis patients must include following in their diet
1. Amla or Indian Gooseberry and Turmeric vegetable
2. Aloe vera Juice and soy products
3. Green vegetables, beans, root vegetables and seaweeds
4. Citrus Fruits, walnuts and kiwi fruit
5. Egg Yolks and cold water fish like salmon and others
6. Pumpkin seeds
arthritis and green tea
7. Strawberries and pineapple
8. Almonds, mushrooms, pecans and blueberries
9. Barley and wholegrain cereals
10. Millet, oats
11. Garlic, avocado and green tea
12. Prunes, Brazil nuts and nuts wheat germ
15. Glucosamine and sunflower oil
Other effective measures for arthritis patients are
1. Try to lose weight
2. Apply capsaicin cream or Azadirachta indica oil in night to the joints with inflammation and pain. You will definitely feel improvement in arthritis pain and inflammation
3. Eat a healthy rich diet that includes vitamins, zinc, minerals, fruits and vegetables that fulfill all the needs (You can also check that on following link to determine diet for arthritis http://cure2arthritis.com/tag/arthritis-diet-plan-2011/)
4. Take the building blocks of cartilage that aids in improving arthritis symptoms. Glucosamine and chondroitin are readily available at all stores, they are safe to use and are very effective. They have shown signs of improvements in many arthritis patients.
Medications for arthritis patients
Medications are always prescribed by doctors however there are certain medications are available for arthritis patients that can be taken by without doctor’s prescription, they are
1. Aspirin- These are NSAIDs that are effective in suppressing arthritis pain. These medications should not be included in treatment for longer run as they have some side affects also like stomach ulcers, kidney damage and others. These medicines are approved by FDA with warning and patients with kidney issues or digestion problem should avoid taking it.
2. Tylenol, Acetaminophen- These are initial medicines which can be taken by any arthritis patient. Arthritis patients can intake upto 8 grams daily to feel significant relief in joint pain. These medications have minor side effects and can be taken for longer run. (Note: Do not intake alcohol with medicine)
Medication with prescription for arthritis patients are
1. Immunosuppressants- These drugs are used to suppress immune system activity in arthritis patients specially for rheumatic cases. Medicince like azathioprine, Cyclosporin, Copaxone are example of Immunosuppressants medications are used when there is no other medicine have worked out.
2. Biologics- These medications are now-a-days used for rheumatoid arthritis patients. Stelara, Enbrel, Rituxan, Cimzia are some example of Biologics medicines that are injected in body and are supervised by doctor to improve life of rheumatoid arthritis patients.
3. NSAIDs- These medications aids in suppressing inflammation around joints by enzyme known as COX-2. These medicines have found to report side affects but still some of them are in use in market. Celebrex is NSAIDs that is commonly found and prescribed by doctors to patients.
4. Steroids- These drugs are used to treat patients with arthritis in later stages. These medicines suppress both inflammation around joints and as well as immune system. These medications have severe side affects gastrointestinal bleeding and others, the risk of side affects are more when taken for long duration.
5. Anti-rheumatic drugs- Imuran, Rheumatrex and Methotrexate are example of anti rheumatic drugs that are used for treatment of autoimmune forms of arthritis. The chemical composition of these drugs are mostly penicillamine and gold salts, these medicines have toxic nature and can be taken under only supervision of doctor.
All the medicines should be taken as suggested and prescribed by doctor for best results in all forms of arthritis.
Arthritis joint replacement surgery and tissue surgery
Patients with extreme case of arthritis joint pain are also considered for joint replacement which is commonly known as arthroplasty. Arthroplasty is process of replacing joints with artificial joints made of steel to maintain daily routine activity. This surgery is last alternative suggested by doctors when no treatment and alternatives are feasible for arthritis patient.
In some initial cases of arthritis doctor also suggest connective tissue surgery. The other common alternative is injected gel type fluid in affected joints where sufficient synovial fluid is not present or produced by body. It aids in only delaying arthritis joint replacement surgery and it should be clear that artificial joint fluids are only temporary solution.
Outlook of arthritis
There are limited forms or types of arthritis that can be entirely cured by treatment. Nearly all arthritis are long term and objective of arthritis treatment is to suppress the joint pain and prevent any further damage. So that is why it is said “Is there any cure for arthritis”. Arthritis pain increases and decreases from hour to hour and climate to climate, it is mostly felt in rainy season.
Dilemma and Complications due to arthritis
1. Long term chronic pain in joints and muscles
2. Additional Stress on one side of body
4. Has major effect on nerves around affected joints in body
When to reach doctor
1. If pain in joints prevail for more than 72 hours
2. You have unusual fever or reduction in weight from past few weeks
3. When you feel intense pain around joints
4. Continuous crickling sound in joint from 10 days
5. The joints are swollen for more than 48 hours
6. When you red skin and you feel hot due to touch
7. Your range of motion has drastically reduced
Anticipation and Prevention of arthritis
Prevention of arthritis
Patients can avoid joint damage only if you and your doctor is able to diagnose arthritis early. Check if someone in your family is already suffering from any form of arthritis and you also any symptoms for arthritis joint pain than you should immediately consult with arthritis specialist to avoid arthritis.
If patient is overweight, the chances for arthritis in hips and knees are more, person should immediately take steps to reduce weight. Osteo arthritis is also caused because of injuries, so patients should check regular injuries in same area. Regular injuries lead to further damage and converts into arthritis in later stages.
Download article as PDF file